Genealogical Society of Marion County
 Filter List by County / Region:

Select Cemetery:
Search for Surname:  Perform Search -- Input all or part of Surname, if left blank - all records will be returned.
Return to Cemeteries

 

New Bethel Cemetery
(Marion Co, Franklin Twp)
8936 E. Southeastern Ave.
Indianapolis, IN
There is some confusion regarding "New Bethel Cemetery", as there were apparently two distinct cemeteries known by this name. 
According to the publication "Called Home" (Franklin Township Historical Society - 1999), the original New Bethel Baptist Church & burial ground was established (in 1826) on the south side of the Michigan Road (later  called Southeastern Ave).   Around 1870, a new church was erected on the north side of the road  Sometime between that date & 1910, the original New Bethel Cemetery       was renamed Founders Cemetery & a second New Bethel Cemetery was apparently established on the north side of the road.  In 1928, the church purchased an old apple orchard to the east, enlarged the "second" New Bethel cemetery and renamed it Orchard Hill.  There are still some references calling this New Bethel (including some maps).  Additionally, there is Fisher Cemetery which lies immediately behind the church.  It was deeded to the church around 1880.  The three cemeteries are maintained by the New Bethel Baptist Church. 
MapQuest (2013) showing placement of the three "New Bethel" cemeteries.