Public Digital Collection (FREE)
The following list of documents are from various sources. They have been scanned and uploaded for your convenience.
Categories in this section include Greenlawn Cemetery History, Franklin Township, Perry Township. Wayne Township, African American, Church, Various County Items, Maps, Places, Military, Taxes, and Schools
A more extensive set of documents may be found in the Member Resources section of our website. They are located in the "Marion County Databases" tab, which is displayed on the Home Page only after you have logged in.
If you have genealogically important documents about Marion County and surrounding counties, and you would like to share them, please contact us. We will make arrangements to have them scanned and uploaded to our website. Your choice about making them public. Thanks much!
Special A-A Marriage Lists
Greenlawn Cemetery Resources
Note: Greenlawn Burials List is in the Free Cemetery section.
Greenlawn Cemetery History
Greenlawn Cemetery Maps
Greenlawn Cemetery Military [These lists are not part of the Cemetery search,]
Franklin Township Collection
- These items were digitized by GSMC volunteers from the archives of the Franklin Township Historical Society collection. The materials covered by the indexes are available at the FTHS building, 6510 S. Franklin Road, Indianapolis, IN. 46239. Further information at www.fths.org.
FTHistSoc Ruede Vital Records Indexes
FTHistSoc Various Resources
FTHistSoc Land Abstract Indexes [These are alphabetical name indexes for the Title Abstracts in the Society collection.]
FTHistSoc Various Church Resources
FTHistSoc Big Run Baptist Church
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP MILITARY RESOURCES
FTHistSoc American Legion Post 220 The Historical Society has many more Legion documents in their collection.
FTHistSoc Military Burials
FTHistSoc Civil War Materials
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP SCHOOL RESOURCES
Franklin Township Schools Various
FTHistSoc Early District Schools
FTHistSoc School Photo Name Index [Contains 4,653 names listed alphabetically]
FTHistSoc Acton Elementary/High School
FTHistSoc Bunker Hill School
FTHistSoc New Bethel Elementary School
FTHistSoc New Bethel High School
FTHistSoc Wanamaker School
FTHistSoc Franklin Township High School
FTHistSoc Franklin Central High School
Perry Township Collection
- These items were digitized by GSMC volunteers from the archives of the Perry Township/Southport Historical Society, 6548 Orinoco Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46227. Further information: Barry Browning, President; 317-789-3979
PTHistSoc Various Resources
PTHistSoc Elementary & Other School Resources
PTHistSoc University Heights School PTA Collection
PTHistSoc High School Resources
PTHistSoc Church Resources
PTHistSoc Olive Branch Christian Church
Wayne Township Collection
Note: Be sure to check the Wayne Township items in our Members Section 2.
Marion County Data (Various)
- Marion County Post Offices
- History of Indianapolis Municipal Airport Indiana Univ. Thesis by Christine Crosby
- Marion County Historical Markers 1929
- Indiana Canal Research and Beyond
History and Research Resources
- Early History & Development of the Marion County Asylum
AKA The Poor Farm
- Civil Employees List--Sulgrove History 1884
Multi-page listing of all Indianapolis city employees from 1832 through 1884. Name searchable.
- Indiana Executive Proceedings, Marion County, 1824-1837
Primarily appointments and resignations
- Indianapolis Fire Department--Firefighters Roster
The IFD Roster was compiled by Jerry Hurley, a retired Indianapolis firefighter. He gathered his information from several sources, including personnel files, firefighters union files, retirees newsletters, city directories, obituaries and his personal knowledge. GSMC thanks Mr. Hurley for his generosity.
- Residental Petition, 1878
Brookside and Oak Hill
- Fireman Henry Milikan Shooting 1931 (7 pgs.) from Indpls Dept of Police Detective's Case Report
First Lilly Laboratory (2 pgs.)
Recipients of Marion County Fair Premiums 1855 (4 pgs.) from 'Weekly Indiana Republican'
Notaries Public, Marion County, 1898 (6 pgs.)
Justices of Peace, Marion County, 1898 (1 pg.)
Indianapolis Post Office Dead Letter List, 1826, 1827 (2 pgs.) from 'Indiana Journal'
Indiana Orphan Train Riders (12 pgs.)
Agricultural Awards Marion County 1836 (1pg.) Indiana Journal Newspaper, Oct.15, 1836
Indianapolis Labor Unions--Various [We would appreciate additional union donations.]
Genealogical Excerpts, Indianapolis Council, May 1878-May 1879
Genealogical Excerpts, Indianapolis Mayors Annual Report, 1910
- Employee Notes, Indianapolis Fire Force, 1910
Staff Hiring, Moves, Promotions, Deaths, Injuries, Location Rosters, and Pension Fund
- Employee Notes, Indianapolis Police Department, 1910
Staff and Department Names, plus Pension Fund
- Employee Notes, Public Works 1910
Board Members, Health Dept., City Hospital Nursing School
Marion County Related Maps
Marion County People & Places
- Pioneer Indianapolis, by Ida Stearns Stickney, Edited by Arthur William Dunn, 1907
- Employees of the Indianapolis Stove Company 1900
- First Printers of Indianapolis
- City Hosp Nurses, Historical Sketch, 1883-1906
Written by Frances M. Ott, R.N.
- Employee Notes, Indiana Bell News, 1965
Lots of employee information and photos
- Death and Burial of John Dillinger
Crown Hill Cemetery
1830 Federal Census of Marion County
Germans in Indianapolis (6 pgs.) Misc. Facts
Freetown Village (16 pgs.) Written for IPS about the 'Freetown Exhibit at the State Museum'
Athenaeum (The German House) (8 pgs.) Family Quest Article; German Turners in Marion County
Broad Ripple Sesquicentennial (6 pgs.) Historical Walking Tour & Chronology, 1837 to 1987
Marion County Pioneers, 1830 (1 pg.) from 'Yearbook of the Society of Indiana Pioneers'
Fishers Indiana Miscellanea (7 pgs.) History of, from the 'Hamilton Co. Observer'
History of West Indianapolis, Vol 2 (22 pgs.) by John Repass
History of West Indianapolis, Vol 1 (13 pgs.) by John Repass
Indianapolis Blue Book, LIst of Maiden Names, 1925. (29 pgs.)
- Index to 1889 Marion County Atlas, Abbott thru Losey
[Note: Atlas is in the GSMC Library.]
- Index to 1889 Marion County Atlas, Loucks thru Zook
- Indiana Militia-National Guard History
This excellent article takes the state militia and Guard from the Territorial Era up to 1938. It's from a National Guard yearbook.
- History of Camp Glenn, Fort Harrison
- War of 1812: Hamilton County War of 1812 Veterans, (5 pgs.)
Militia Lists for Marion and Johnson Counties, 1832 (1 pg.)
- Civil War: Indiana Roll of Honor, List of those who died in the Civil War, (9 pgs.)
- Civil War: Religion During the Civil War in Indianapolis, IN. (7 pgs.)
- Civil War: John and William White biography of two Marion County Civil War soldiers (2 pgs.)
- WW1: VFW Encampment/Yearbook, Indianapolis 1928 Conference booklet; names, photos, program, advertisements [Surname Searchable]
- WW2: Indianapolis Public School Teachers in Military Service, 1944 (6 pgs.)
- WW2: Allison War Album, 1944
The booklet from the Indianapolis aircraft engine maker contains lots of employee photos and
Mixed Cemetery Lists/ Sources
Ring Counties (Various Files)
Shelby County: "Picturesque Shelbyville"
- Government and Schools, pp 1-21
- Churches, pp. 22-55
- Lodges and Clubs, pp. 56-87
- Companies, Part A, pp. 88-106
- Companies, Part B, pp. 107-129
- People, Part A, pp. 130-155
- People, Part B, pp. 156-180
School Items, Various
Indianapolis Public Schools Free Databases [Extensive IPS Material in Members Only Section]
- School Name Sources, Indianapolis Public Schools
- BRHS Riparian Newspaper, June 6, 1941
- School No. 72, 1956 Mid-Year Grads Contributed by Barbara George
- EMHS Class of 1923, Later Address Updates-1958
- EMHS Class of 1907, Later Address Updates-1958(?)
- School No. 21, Class Photos, 1922-1939
- School No. 21, Class Photos, 1940-1959
- School No. 21, Class Photos, 1960-1981
Marion County Seminary School
Special Orders Relocated
This section was relocated to GSMC Home Page with linked tab.
Catholic Cemeteries Day Book Collection [These are small ledger books created by the Cemeteries Office that include obituaries and funeral notes.]
Earliest Marriage Entries [Original handwritten marriage records; Books 1-2-3]
Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Home Records
[From ca1910 to ca 1970]
Marion County Juvenile Court Records [We are scanning the microfilm indexes in our library; the indexes are free to use, but the printed or emailed documents are special orders.
We invite you to become a GSMC Member and enjoy access to many more data sets. See the "Membership " tab!